Monday, January 24, 2011

What "they" never taught me

My oldest granddaughter is scheduled to graduate from Virginia Tech in May. She recently sent me her first resume to review, which I did. I was not impressed by what I read and I told her so. Her response was, "they never taught me how to do this." While I understood her frustration, I told her "they" was actually "you", and that sometimes you have to learn things on your own. She got my point, and after I gave her some advice, she prepared a credible document.

My point is that I had the same problem Jennifer did when I wrote my first resume, but I was far older and more experienced at the time than my granddaughter is now. My first shot at a resume was about six months before I retired from the Army, and as I recall, the critique I received on that effort was similar to that I gave my granddaughter. In the Army, my professional standing was pretty much apparent based on my rank, positions held, awards received, and efficiency reports I'd accumulated over the years. Preparing a resume was not one of my higher priorities, so I never took the time to learn how to write an effective one, and of course my initial excuse when my first attempt went bust was, "they" never taught me how to do it.

Take heed and start learning early how to prepare an effective job history and professional background...in terms understood by those in the civilian workplace. Given today's tight job market, few things will be as important in making you stand out among hundreds of others seeking similar positions.