Thursday, January 27, 2011

Dumbness...1st degree

I have this nice, reliable and very portable external hard drive made by Other World (OWC) Computing. I use it exclusively with my MacBook Pro. A few days ago I decided to back up some files and I noticed that the drive was no longer being recognized by my laptop...unlike it's state just hours earlier when it's icon was neatly placed on my screen's desktop indicating that all's well. What's up with this I wondered?

Messing around for several minutes plugging and unplugging the drive's USB cable, I got nothing in the way of recognition. Hummmm. I took it downstairs to my home office and plugged it into my desktop Mac Pro computer. Same thing...unrecognized. Another hummmm, but this time with much more concern. "Find the manual and read the troubleshooting section,"I muttered to myself. No mention of such a problem in the manual, other than to tell me to check the cables...are they properly inserted...yes they were, several times. Nada...must be broke.

Logic set in. External drives do fail., but OWC has a great reputation for this usually not happening. Maybe I got a bad one...even though it's less than a year old. Oh well, I was eye balling one with more capacity anyway, and besides, I'd paid just a tad above $100 for the one I had...the one that mysteriously died on me.

As I was placing said dead drive back into the box it came in, pondering whether or not I ought to send it in for repair under its warranty, I noticed this VERY small switch on the back panel of the drive. What's that do-dad? Looking at the manual, I see that do-dad is the "on-off" switch...pointed in the wrong direction...why, I had not a clue. Flipped that switch to the left and presto...all's well. Like I said in the post title, 1st degree dumbness.