Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hard Choices

I did not watch the State of the Union address last night...not that I was uninterested. I've been reading and hearing all kinds of opinions from experts and non-experts who suggest that in order to get the sort of reduction in the budget deficit, there are going to have to be cuts in "hard choice" areas...defense being one of the biggies, along with Medicare and Social Security. We'll soon see just how serious our elected officials are about taking on this challenge. I wish them good luck.

I'm in the middle of a great book my Doris Kearns Goodwin, No Ordinary Time, about the "homefront" during WWII, and how FDR was able to make people understand how inseparable the "homefront" was in relation to the "war front." Like today, he was frustrated by budget issues related to spending. I guess time passes but the challenges of governing remain the same.