Tuesday, January 11, 2011

OK, it's here...but the birds aren't

The "it"in my post title is the Verizon iPhone. It's official. Early February arrival, for those millions standing in line. My Verizon contract does not expire until March, so I have time to ponder whether or not to get an iPhone or a new Droid smart phone. Many reasons for me to do the latter, all beyond the scope of this post, and you really don't care anyway. Now, to the "birds" in this post title.

No doubt you heard the news around New Years about the dead Redwing Blackbirds falling from the sky in Arkansas and elsewhere. Many theories for this weirdness. I'll add my own bit of mystery to the bird situation. Every winter for as long as we've lived in SW Virginia, we have had hundreds of finches and other small birds wintering over, feasting on the seeds and thistle we place out for them. This year, they have mostly all gone missing. Colder than normal winter you say. True, but last winter was also colder than normal and we had the birds around all the time. Why are they gone this year? The mystery remains....