Thursday, April 16, 2009

A typical day "at work"

Given that (1) I am semi-retired and can adjust my daily work schedule as I please, and (2) I am a creature of habit, a typical work day for me starts with a cup of coffee and a bowl of my favorite dry cereal…Honey Nut Cheerios anyone…sitting in front of my computer monitor, checking for new email, updating this Blog and AEA's website, and then viewing one-by-one several favorite websites containing topics which interest me…most all being related to photography and graphic design.

In the process, I may watch a video tutorial of two instructing me how to do things which hopefully will improve my digital publishing skills, and I may get temporarily distracted my one of our cats looking for some attention. My coffee is usually cold by the time I finish all this, because I can't hold the cup and type or navigate on my computer screen at the same time (I use a Wacom Tablet by the way and it's just about the best thing since fried pork skins).

I'm usually wearing my morning sweat clothes after my daily 2 mile walk (many years of jogging and running in the Army messed with my knees so I now walk), and I have yet to brush my teeth or shave. But, I eventually get around to personal hygiene by the time I go upstairs from my office to eat lunch with my wife (and cats). For us, "lunch" starts around 1330, or sometimes even as late as 1400. Like I wrote earlier, I can set my own schedule and my wife is agreeable.

Afternoons are filled with (how shall I put it) all "work stuff". I get totally engrossed in creating magazine page layouts, writing articles for the magazine, fixing photographs to look like I want them to, and sometimes talking on the phone to advertising customers about upcoming ads for the magazine. I usually try to stop work between 1700-1800, but at the peak of my magazine work time, my day may extend to 1900, or when my wife starts shouting down to me that "Supper's ready, and I'm going to start eating with or without you at the table." After supper I may come back downstairs to finish whatever I was doing before being called to eat, but usually I let it wait until the next day.

I don't do all this every day, because I have other home chores as well, like mowing the grass or fixing something my wife wants me to fix. All in all, I'm pretty darn lucky to be able to work as I do. AND, have one heck of a lot of fun and professional enjoyment in the process.