Thursday, April 30, 2009

Bridges of Danville



While I'm messing around in my spare time with some of the photos I recently took in Danville, Virginia, I thought I'd let you look at a couple of interest to engineers…bridges across a river. The first shows the rather shallow and slow running river, with a couple of modern day concrete arch bridges way in the distance. Those carry a large amount of traffic into and out of the city. That photo was taken while I was standing on an old single track, steel truss railroad bridge, which has been converted to foot and bicycle traffic only. That bridge was constructed during the Civil War, and was the main link between the city and regions to the north. A newer railroad bridge downstream from this bridge is shown in my title photo, with a train crossing.