Sunday, July 13, 2008

Terrible Insects

Yellow Jackets that is. I've been stung before, but not like yesterday. While weed wacking deep grass, I apparently went over an in-ground nest of those little devils, and as a result got stung six times on left hand and both arms. Did all the "home remedies" including peroxide, baking soda and ice. That helped at first, but later in the day I still suffered some bothersome pain. Those guys can sting multiple times…not like a honey bee which loses it's stinger the first time. Thankfully, no allergic reaction. Today, pain is gone, but the sting marks remain to remind me how bad those critters are to mess with. Now, how to deal with the nest in the area I was working on. No way am I going to try to cut grass there for now. Maybe burn the entire area out with gasoline. Naw, bad idea. They ain't worth the cost of the gas, I'll just let the grass grow in that spot for the rest of the summer, and then let cold weather take care of them naturally.