Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lost opportunities

I'm not complaining here, because I understand that there are lots of higher priority things to do within the Army today, but I am disappointed when I go online to various Army sites to get information, only to find out that the site has not been updated…ranging in time from months to years. For example, if one reads "Hot News" on a website, and then goes there only to find that the news is way out of date, where is the "hot" in HOT? A week or even a month old I can understand, but years? I also sit and watch people in positions of responsibility in the Army get on board the cyber-highway by publishing their own blog, and then after a few weeks or months of posting, they let it go stale, eventually to the point where people stop going there anymore. My point is, if you're going to have a website, or a blog, or anything else designed to keep people informed, then someone must be assigned to keep it up to date. Not necessarily daily, but at least weekly. Otherwise, all the work required to set up the site or blog becomes wasted, and the well intended opportunity to inform people will have been lost.