Monday, July 07, 2008

Reenlistment seems not to be a big problem

One indicator of troop morale and willingness to continue to serve are statistics pertaining to reenlistment. I read the other day about some 1200-odd personnel electing to reenlist in Iraq. Also, those with whom I spoke last Spring at Fort Leonard Wood, each said they planned to re-up. I've read conflicting reports about junior enlisted and officers staying in versus getting out; but again, what I hear and see makes me believe that there is no great mass exodus out of the military to civilian life. I suppose the present sad state of our economy is one reason why some decide to stay put in the Army, given a relatively secure status in relation to having a job that pays reasonably well. Also, I watched a documentary on C-Span this past weekend about an Infantry company located on a remote combat outpost in Afghanistan, along the Pakistani border. The company commander and his enlisted and officer leaders interviewed each said they "loved what they were doing", and felt they were making a big difference in terms of security, etc. My guess is that most in that company would have no problem deciding to remain in the Army. Morale that high, at such a remote and zero-comfort outpost, paints a good picture to me.