Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Time Passing

Was my post "title" phrase "time passing" not in some song I listened to long ago? Not sure. Anyway, I digress.

Yesterday I flipped the page on several calendars we have hanging about the house. We find ourselves looking at them more and more, given that we have so many things to keep track of, it seems, the older we get.

Things like doctor and dentist appointments, reminders when either myself or my wife have a scheduled activity somewhere, and so forth. Thus, the good old paper calendar hanging on the wall has become an important item in our household. (We have electronic calendars on all our computers and cell phones as well).

My wife buys fancy heavywieght paper ones for her and I, each having a different pictorial theme for her tastes and for mine, which we give as gifts during Christmastime. She also bought nice wooden frames several years ago, in which to mount each year's calendar. And to make it a bit easier to flip the page monthly.

In that regard, those monthly page flipping events seem to come more quickly that they once did. I remember when I was in Vietnam that we all had "short-timer" calendars on which we crossed out day after day to finally get down under "two-digits"—the number of days left before returning home. When you got under a hundred days, you were called a "two-digit-figit". But man, did those last 99 days go by SLOWWWWW! Not so today. Those nice calendars we have hanging in our house hardly get comfortable to being on "May" before "June" pops up.