Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Who is responsible, us or them?

Yesterday at lunch, my wife was finishing up her daily portion of flavored, packaged yogurt, and read to me directions written on the side of the small plastic cup, urging those about to dispose of the container, to first crush it flat, so as to not endanger wildlife, should the cup be tossed carelessly into the environment. I suppose small critters might try to stick their head into the cup to finish off the remains, and get stuck…whatever.

Anyway, this made my wife angry. Her comment was, "Why am I responsible to protect the environment, when companies continue to package their products in ways that are not environmentally prudent in the first place?" She also wondered why "plastics" had to be used so much these days, and why those who create package designs can't be more innovative.

Good questions.