Friday, March 06, 2009

The news

Each time I check out the "news" either online, on TV, or on the radio I hear nothing good…well hardly ever…the Dallas Cowboys have released T.O. and that's certainly good news.

On my AM walk today I started thinking that maybe the best way to deal with all the gloom and doom financial and political stuff in the news is that I ought to initiate a personal boycott on "news" itself…except perhaps sports news, or the weather forecast (which by the way looks nice and warm here this weekend).

On my walk I was listening to my iPod to a song by Bruce Cockburn that spoke to "what would you do if you knew today was your last day on earth." That got me thinking. I certainly would not pay that much attention to the news if I knew tomorrow would never be. I'd try to cram as many fun things as I could into each minute left. It would all be personal stuff, between me and my family. What would be going on elsewhere in the world would have little significance.

In sum, I guess what I'm talking about here is there are lots more important things than what we read and hear on the "news".