Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Martinsville Race Week…and the weather


Twice a year NASCAR visits Martinsville and Henry County Virginia, and each time I am a participant. This week is "race week" here, and many are gearing up for the Kroger 250 truck race on Saturday and the Goody's 500 on Sunday. I'm excited, but…

I'm a weather freak. I watch weather forecasts like others watch the stock market. Both have up and down days. So, during race week I watch the weather forecast very closely for the up coming weekend of racing, because with rain there is no racing.

Right now, the forecast calls for a 50-50 chance of rain on both race days, with mostly cloudy conditions. Positive side is that the temperature is expected to be in the 60's. Last spring, it was partly cloudy, but in the low 40's with wind. I froze, sitting in the metal stands for close to six hours. Many did not show up that day because of the cold, but those of us that did walked away feeling like we had sucked it in and met Mother Nature's hand.

I'm in my "glass is half full" mode right now. More importantly, if it does rain, we definitely need it. Last year was really dry around here.