Monday, May 09, 2011

It's that time of year when...

It's that time of year when:

1. I miss reading about or watching sports on TV other than anything related to the NBA...unprofessional as it seems to have become over the years.
2. Weeds grow faster than I can keep up with in our flower beds and gardens.
3. Bugs begin to creep out from winter hiding places, which signals the beginning of my constant battle with those which serve no useful purpose...spiders are OK because they are on my side, as are small wasps which help control the enemy too.
4. It's 80 degrees one day and 60 the next...with severe thunderstorms and tornados lurking about.
5. We open up our swimming pool...with a seemingly never ending series of summer maintenance chores ahead.
6. I switch from wearing sweats for my AM 2-mile walk, to shorts and tee shirt.
7. Monthly expenditures on gas rise, due to weekly lawn mowing with my John Deere lawn tractor on our 2.5 acre yard.
8. And lastly, it's that time of year when I remember how excited I used to be in May when I was much younger, and had none of the thoughts listed above. Like...school was almost out and a wonderful summer was ahead with all sorts of youthful joys waiting for me to attack them with gusto.