Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Critters

Last fall, here in SW Virginia and all along the east coast, we were invaded by Stink Bugs...small, shield shaped, armor plated, insecticide resistant critters that do, in fact, stink, when pestered with or killed. According to the bug experts, they were looking for a place to "winter over", unfortunately inside houses...such as in the attic. Well, winter is over by a long shot and now these little pests are coming out of their hiding places, seeking a way to get back outside. Problem is...I am in their way.

Typically, I find and capture around ten of these bugs each day, usually while we are watching TV in the evening. My death method is to catch them with a small, wet piece of paper towel, and to then wrap them firmly in more paper towel before placing the bug package under the faucet in the kitchen sink...sending them to bugdom whatever that is, and then in the trash can they go.

From what I have read, there is no way for us to deal with these insects any better than what I have been doing. But, I have to admit they are becoming a giant pain in the butt. I'm hoping we will soon see an end to those critters who wintered over in our attic. My wife, being a non-bug person, is hoping even more than I am.