Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I Love the Rain

There is a song that's been featured on a Chevy TV commercial recently, titled, "I Love the Rain", sung by a group called (interestingly enough) "The Real Tuesday Weld." The TV commercial shows a bunch of kids racing out the door of a home, with rain gear on, splashing their way to a new Chevy SUV sitting in the driveway, waiting to carry them all away somewhere. It's a catchy song, and you can view it on You Tube here. Anyway, what's my point?

This has been a wet (way understated) spring this year, especially in the Midwest and Mid Atlantic regions of the US. During breaks in the rain here in SW Virginia, I have so far this week: 1. cut way back some very large holly bushes along the front of our house...with the help of my cross-the-street neighbor, 2. attempted to mow our entire yard, being aced out in the back portion which is like mowing through a marshland in spots, 3. lowered the level of our swimming pool twice, and 4. observed with bug spray in hand, a slow invasion of insects around our house...small "red" bugs that like to bunch up on rotting wet vegetation, making it a rather simple task for me to kill them all in one or two sprays of insecticide.

In July and August we will probably be yearning for wet weather as yards grow brown and crispy, and listening to that song, "I Love the Rain" will bring back memories of the wet weather we've been experiencing recently. On a more serious side and before I close, however, my thoughts and prayers go out to all those along the Mississippi River who have been impacted by this year's record flooding. I'm sure the referenced song above will not be very humorous to them.