Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hokie Grad Now Looking for a Job

We have a new Virginia Tech graduate in the family...Jennifer in the middle with her mother (our daughter) Leslie on the left and my wife Barb on the right, together in Jennifer's apartment just prior to her graduation May 14th with two Bachelor of Science Degrees...Biology and Chemistry. That's quite an achievement given the academic difficulty at Tech.

Jennifer's looking for a job in which to apply her knowledge, but fortunately is not actually unemployed at present, given that for the past several years she has worked at Krogers as a cashier and part-time manager. She also worked for the VT Chemistry lab as an assistant part time during her five-year quest for her degrees. I say this to point out that there are many young people like Jennifer today who not only work hard at gaining a higher level of education, but who are not reluctant to work even harder earning their way at the same time.

So, while I often lament the sad state of our youth today, there are shining examples of success out there. And...I'm not just saying that because I'm biased toward Jennifer as my granddaughter...I see many others like her as well.

In closing...anyone looking for a hard working Biology-Chemistry new Hokie graduate...email me. Granddaughter or not...it's a tough job market and I'll do my best to help her find a job. End of commercial message. :-)