Thursday, February 10, 2011

The big day...or is it

Verizon iPhone Day, 2011. It goes on sale to the general public today, with hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of drooling customers waiting to get their hands on the device they have been desperately yearning for (from Verizon) since the popular phone was introduced a few years ago, exclusively on the ATT network. Once, I was one of those drooling fans...not so now.

Not that I'm against owning an iPhone, it's a great device and would make me very happy were I to own one. Problem is, I really don't need all the capabilities it has because I have a new Apple iPod Touch, which is essentially an iPhone without the phone part. I use my iPod every day...to listen to music while I'm out exercising or while working, to play games at night when I get bored with what's on TV, and when I don't want to get my laptop out to check email or to read the many blogs I follow daily, I grab my iPod and take care of business just fine, albeit on a small screen. So, were I to have an iPhone, my iPod sort of becomes an "extra" and I don't want to relegate it to the sidelines. Thus, no iPhone for me.

When my Verizon contract expires next month, I have decided to replace my current phone (it's making far too many butt calls and reseting itself lately). After thoroughly researching what's out there on Verizon for my next phone, I decided to spring for one of the new Blackberry models. Yeah, I know, Blackberry's are not the hot thing any more, but my granddaughter at Virginia Tech just got one and she loves it, as do many of her best friends. It was largely on her advice that I made this decision. Given that she will graduate this spring, I have to assume she knows what she's talking about.

So, there you go. My story for today...this big Verizon iPhone day.