Friday, September 17, 2010

TGIF or DBYS

In my neighborhood, you know it's Friday and a weekend is about to start when signs like this start to pop up magically overnight. I see them everywhere on my morning walk. With these "junk" sales, comes increased vehicle traffic and that keeps me more aware as I walk the streets, with my iPod streaming music into my ears through attached headphones. Usually on my daily walk, I recognize cars and their occupants as they leave the neighborhood for work. I wave and they wave back. With the yard sales folks, there is no waving. They look at me like an impediment to them getting quickly to be the first to buy someone else's junk.

I remember when I was in the Army how much we relished Friday. Happy Hour at the O-Club, family cook-outs with neighbors, and being able to relax knowing the next two days were ours to do whatever we wanted. Now being semi-retired and working to my own schedule, Fridays don't mean as much to me as they once did. I may rename TGIF to DBYS...Day Before Yard Sale.