Thursday, September 30, 2010

All at once

Here in SW Virginia we have had almost zero rain all this month (September) Then, in the past several days, we get dumped on...around 7 inches last night. The result of all that rain in such a short period is shown here...the only road into the subdivision in which we live closed.

The deluge stopped around the time of my AM walk, so with my new iPod Touch 4 with camera in hand, playing my music, I snapped off several images, and a couple of videos too, of what I saw. While only a fool would drive through the overwashed road, two of them from a local TV outlet did. They made it with no trouble fortunately, jumped out, and asked me if I cared to be interviewed. I said sure, why not.

The roadway you see here has flooded worse in the past, but not for a very long time. Engineers from the DOT built several "solutions" over the past few years, but nothing can prevent a road being overtopped, when it blocks normal flow from a nearby creek, and when so much rain comes all at once. So, we all wander down, take a picture or two, then walk back home. Kids love it when the school bus can't get to them.