Friday, September 17, 2010

Lieutenant Explorers

One of my best friends sent me this old photo (which I spiced up a bit using Photoshop). It shows him (Dave Bevill wearing the yellow sweatshirt) in a rubber inflatable with John Somodi, and with yours truly in the other boat, loaded with two duffel bags, each filled with campng gear, and probably some liquid refreshment. We were were all asigned as lieutenants in the 553rd Engineer Company (Float Bridge) stationed at Fort Campbell in Feb 1965, when the picture was taken. We were out "exploring" a potion of the Cumberland River.

Later that same year, Dave's active duty commitment was up and he'd decided to put on civilian clothes, while John and I had another year or so to go. In that regard, the unit deployed with us both to Vietnam in August 65. John left active duty after a brief stay in Vietnam, while I decided to make a career of it. I owe a lot to Dave because he was the one who took me under his wing when I first reported to the unit, and kept me out of trouble with the company commander, until I'd learned my way around.

Not sure what ever hapened to John Somodi, but Dave later joined the SC Army National Guard as an enlisted soldier, rising to the rank of Sergeant Major. More importantly, he's remained a good friend ever since, and always stays in touch. Plus, he's managed to swindle me out of more trading goodies than I care to admit. Having lifelong buddies like Dave Bevill is what being in the Army is all about.