Thursday, September 02, 2010

Battle with the Cat

Every morning after I finish my walk, and after feeding both of our cats, I pour a cup of coffee, grab a banana, reach for my laptop bag near the kitchen table, turn on my Macbook Pro and start looking at my favorite websites, and checking emails. That ritual usually takes me an hour or so, during which time I make some cold cereal or hot instant oatmeal or hot instant grits, to provide a more substantial breakfast. All the time I'm doing this, I have both cats (Boots and Lucy) nearby...closely nearby. Given I'm sitting at the table with my laptop for awhile, I usually have to get up for a bathroom break, or to replenish my coffee. That's when the "battle with the cat" begins.

Within seconds of me leaving my seat, Boots leaps onto my butt-warmed chair and comfortably settles back. Then, as I return, she looks up at me saying to herself I'm sure, "He ain't getting this chair back!" Knowing her routine, I just start to sit down, and as I get closer to the seat, she jumps off to resume her "watch" for the next time I get up.

This process goes on and on all morning, until I leave the table to go to my home office for more productive activities of the day, unless I have outside chores to do. After I leave the kitchen, Boots will have nothing to do with my chair. It's only when I'm seated there with my laptop that she covets that position as her own. Cats are cool, eh?