Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Captured by Technology

I hate it when I lose our internet connection at home. We are "served" by Comcast...and lately for reasons unknown, the internet connection drops. I mess with the cable modem, watching its lights flash, etc, reboot everything, sometimes with success, sometimes not. It eventually fixes itself, but the periods when it's out drive me nuts. Why is this so, I ask myself. Because we've been captured by technology, and when we don't have it when we want it, we're lost. No email, no web surfing, and in my case sometimes, no productive work...because I do one heck of a lot of online research for my job as magazine editor.

I'm sure I'm not alone feeling this way today. Somehow I think it was better when we did not have the internet. But then it would be something else that we might not have for a period...like electric power.