Thursday, February 26, 2009

What to wear to work?


Almost 30 years in the Army allowed me never having to worry about what to wear each day. The Army told me what to wear and prescribed exactly what the type uniform would be. After I left active service I was much more challenged when I dressed to go to work. When I was a town manager at a beach community in North Carolina, dressing for work was, well, very casual. But, I had two other jobs where I had to dress much more business like…one with suit, white shirt and tie, five days a week, no exceptions.

For the past seven years I've worked out of our house, doing what I do with the magazine, and so forth. Most days when I'm working in my home office, I wear PT exercise "sweats" until lunch time, after which I'll shower and change to something equally comfortable.

Because my office is downstairs, and because heat rises, it's a bit cool at times. So in the winter I usually wear a fleece jacket or vest on top of everything, plus I always have a cap of some sort on the top of my balding head. In the summer, I wear shorts and a tee-shirt every day. Barefoot at times, sandals otherwise.

Dressing for work is, for me these days, a simple process again just as it was when we were on active duty in the Army. The major difference is that I can wear my favorite hoodie in the winter and my favorite tee-shirt in the summer. Being a NASCAR fan, I often look like a neon sign advertising some product. But that's OK with me, I hardly ever have to make any decision on what to wear…it just depends on what happens to be clean.