Friday, February 20, 2009

Rest Stop Ahead…or not

The Commonwealth of Virginia's Department of Transportation has decided to close a good many of the existing rest stops along interstate highways that pass through the region. Fortunately, I don't travel as much as I used to, but when I do I definitely keep my eyes open for the blue highway signs announcing "Rest Stop 2 Miles Ahead". Being a type "A"person, I can't stand having to exit the interstate to use a commercial establishment's rest rooms; but if I do make that decision, the stop HAS to include getting gas plus eating…an "all in one" stop.

The people I feel sorry for the most are the truckers…well maybe not that sorry since they often drive like they are in the Indianapolis 500. But, I'm sure closing rest stops will not be good for them, given that they really need the "rest".

These are indeed hard times. And, it's going to be hard for many travelers to resist just pulling over on the shoulder of the road, climbing over the embankment and "doing one's business". That's not good either!