Sunday, February 15, 2009

President's Day Weekend

When I was on active duty in Germany many years ago, this weekend was one of our favorites. Why? The Alps, and their numerous skiing destinations. Whether it be as a part of a local German-American ski club, or simply in a gathering of several comrades and their families, we all looked forward to getting away when ever we had an opportunity…and all three-day weekends were on the top of our list in that regard.

Few things compare to the spectacular views we had while skiing down snow covered slopes. Also, sitting in the sun, at a table in one of the Gasthaus on the way down, having a beer and brat with fresh baked bread was hard to beat.

Now, my holiday weekend consists of doing indoor stuff like writing this blog, and working on the next magazine. Oh yes, watching the Daytona 500 on TV. My skis and boots are all packed away…for good I'm sad to say. But, that's a good thing, because my body probably could never fully recover from the sorts of spills I used to have, while zooming down steep slopes.