Monday, September 26, 2011

A Budget Proposal?

I read in Army Times that a Colorado lawmaker, and member of the House Armed Services Committee, has proposed transferring 100,000 active duty positions to the Army Reserve...as a "legitimate" (my quotes) way to reduce defense costs. I doubt this proposal will be adopted, but if it were to be, my first question would be, "In these hard economic times, where are civilian jobs going to come from for those individuals being placed in reserve (part-time) military duty positions?"

His proposal also suggests the Army "find" the 100,000 active duty positions to transfer into the reserve component, by returning home those now based in Europe and Korea. That suggestion alone pretty much sums up his total proposal as being not well thought out...in my opinion of course.

A link to the story is here.