Friday, September 02, 2011

Big Labor Day Weekend

One of the many things I miss about being on active duty in the Army is the anticipation I had (as did just about everyone else) for what lay ahead over a long holiday weekend such as the one now present. Being able to shut down beginning at the end of the day on Thursday, and then not having to return to duty until Tuesday AM of the next week, was a real joy. But, there were exceptions.

For example, not everyone had the luxury. Some had assignments that did not allow for it...being deployed overseas for example, or having some sort of official unit assignment. In my time that involved things like guard duty, Officer or NCO of the Day, or whatever. Today, I'm not sure what these type duty requirements entail. My point being that there are always some who have to "hold down the fort" while others are out and about having fun...safely one hopes.

So, for all of you "out and about", Cheers!