Tuesday, July 12, 2011

When it's Hot...it's HOT!

Ah yes...July. A typically hot time of the year in the United States...and then there's August to look forward to...endure is perhaps a better word. For those in the Army, hot weather means watching the heat index value and altering outdoor training activities accordingly. That's not possible in a combat zone, however, so those deployed there have to adjust to hot conditions as best they can.

It's this time of year when I recall my numerous proclamations made during the cold winter months about how much I was looking forward to being hot...in July and August. Well, here ya go...I got what I asked for! Now, I'm wishing for those times during my early morning walk when I was all bundled up...sweat pants, heavy sweat shirt, jacket, gloves, and warm hat.

So, as July progresses into perhaps even hotter days of August, I tell myself it's all relative, and could be worse...like I could be living in West Texas, New Mexico or Arizona. Yesterday, for example, while it was in the mid 90's at our house, I drove into the Blue Ridge Mountains where it was ten degrees cooler above 3000 feet, and even cooler the higher I got. Going up the mountains was a joy, coming down to reality was less so. Like I said, it's all relative.