Saturday, July 16, 2011

Do you read books?

I have a good friend who is also a retired member of the Army Corps of Engineers, and the other day when I recommended three books he might enjoy reading, he thanked me and said he'd add those to his extremely long list of books waiting for his eyes. Not saying he does not read books...quite the opposite...he's a prolific reader...he can't get enough...so his only solution is to line them up on his to-do list as they come to his attention...first in, first read. Since reading takes time...you get my point.

I suspect there are a lot of people in the Army today who spend little time reading books...most of their time is spent scanning endless words on the internet, emails, cellphone texts, and along the little news bar at the bottom of TV screens. It did not used to be this way and that's a shame. When I was a kid growing up in Little Rock, Arkansas, I would spend an entire summer while on school vacation reading books of many sorts...yes I admit that some were comic books...but even with Archie and Jughead, Mighty Mouse, Superman, and Flash Gordon as the main subjects, many of the "book classics" were also published in comic book form.

I know there are millions of folks who read just as much today, as did their mothers and fathers. Electronic devices such as the Kindle have made it a bit easier, but I know many who shun those devices as if they are devil sent. For them, a good old-fashioned hardback book with removable cover is what they want. Point is...read books no matter the format!