Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Making Coffee

For ALL of my almost 30–year Army career, I NEVER drank coffee. Hard to believe but true. I experimented with tea on and off when not in the field, and ALWAYS drank hot chocolate made from the packet from my C–Rations, or MREs when I was. Many said I was not a "real" Army person because of my distaste for what was probably THE favorite on–duty drink in the Army—coffee.

Then, I left active service. I experimented with numerous varieties of hot tea and liked it for a time, but always felt I was missing something. So, one day my grandson had me try an ice cold coffee–flavored drink while we were on  summertime road trip together. I loved it. Next, he had me try a Starbucks cup of flavored hot coffee, and that too I liked. Gradually, I became a REAL coffee drinker like I should have been while in the Army.

Now, each day my first AM duty assignment is to make a pot of coffee for me and my wife. I usually have two cups every day. Cream, no sugar please. My brother–in–law makes excellent coffee, as do many restaurants and fast–food establishments and filling stations we visit from time to time. And, my wife is no amateur coffee maker either. But, I am. An amateur that is. When it comes to making coffee.

Had I been a REAL Soldier, I would have learned from day one how to drink, and better still, make coffee. If that had been the case, imagine how good I'd be today!