Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I didn't believe what I saw

When I first snapped a photo of these new facilities at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, I said to myself, "Now there are some nice new family quarters." But, I was wrong. They are instead single Soldier housing for those permanently assigned to the installation. What happened to BARRACKS?

My first question to those I spoke with familiar with the situation, focused on how leaders might "inspect" these quarters, such as we've done forever in the Army. Short answer was they really don't do that like in the past. To top that off, I was told that leaders have to ask permission of the individuals housed in these sets of quarters, in order to enter.

Anyone who says the Army is not taking better care of Soldiers today than they once did, might do well to go check out what's happening at Fort Leonard Wood.