Friday, August 22, 2008

It's Friday

In fact, Friday's do not have the same significance to me today as they once did. During my younger days while I was in the Army, Fridays were a time for Happy Hour at "the O-club". Then later as I grew older (still in the Army) and as the Army's club system slowly faded away in popularity, I spent time with friends at home, but still having our own happy hours. In Germany, those fun-fests typically lasted way more than an hour. Then after I retired from the Army (and working full time in second careers) Fridays were usually reserved to either go out for pizza and beer, or stay home and have our own. After I started working part time, Fridays lost their prime significance as a "party night" because if I wanted to, I could "party" on any night I wished. However, the definition of "party" today is nowhere near what it once was in my life. We still go out to eat on Fridays but not as often as before and if I have a beer at all, it's only one or two at the most. TV and early bedtime has taken the place of pool, darts, and pitchers of beer. My kids (they are over 40 each) still call Friday night "daddy's party night". But they like me, know it's not the same anymore.