Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Green to Blue


An announcement from the Army yesterday stated that it’s now official: green is out and blue is in. Photo here is Class “B”. Add a blue jacket for Class “A”. It was noted by the Army’s news release that, “The move to eliminate the green uniform is designed to streamline soldiers’ clothing bags while modernizing the way the traditional blue uniform is worn.” Soldiers are encouraged to wear the new uniform now if they have it. It will start being issued to new Soldiers in 2010. Everyone must wear it by 2013. A white shirt goes with the uniform. The Army once considered having a gray color shirt. Also, as shown in the photo, some positions such as airborne and ranger can blouse their trousers with black boots. Other non-special operations positions, not so. There is also an option to wear a service cap versus the beret. Apparently, those now serving were asked in several surveys to express their desires for colors, etc. It’s reported that the results of those surveys favored the blue color. As for me, I don’t like it. But then I did not like the green uniform that much either. I always though a brown or tan color uniform (or combination thereof) best represented the service. I have no problem with having a blue color “dress” uniform, but wearing that color every day in either Class “A” or Class “B” goes against my personal feelings. But then, I have no vote. Time will tell how it all works out. By the way, I’d be careful eating a Big Mac or Whopper with that white shirt on!