Monday, May 17, 2010

What's a Zing Tank?

One funny story I remember from when I was on active duty involves a question my Humvee driver asked me one day as we were riding out a range road at Fort Stewart, GA, while on a two–week field training exercise. Many places around the country paint the words "XING" at places where pedestrians cross the road. Fort Stewart did the same thing, but with the black outline of a tank painted below the word "XING". It was referring to an area where a tank trail crosssed the road, and was designed to make you slow down and look both ways. But to my driver, it referred to a new type tank, which he called a ZING TANK. He asked me, "What's this new ZING TANK anyway. I never saw one." When I told him what it really meant he laughed, as did many others later on when I told them the story.