Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Couple of things

First, Im a big fan of the TV show “House”. Last night was the season finale and as far as I was concerned it was a real winner. I won’t say why I feel that way, because I don’t want to spoil the episode for those not yet viewing it. The thing I noticed, and something I said to my wife after the show was over, is how much a person can get “inside” a particular show like House. It’s like you really get to know the characters and laugh and cry along with them, never thinking it’s all just fiction, and often unrealistic at that. But still, I felt really good after last night’s episode.

Second, I noticed today that the AG of the State of Connecticut has been misrepresenting a part of his “military” background. Since he’s running for the US Senate, the importance of this is obvious. While he was given numerous deferments during the Vietnam War period (65-70), he eventually joined the Marine Corps Reserve. But, he never went far from home, even though he often insinuated later during speeches that he was a Vietnam veteran. It’s all in how he said what he said, so said he recently. “I misspoke”, was his apology. My point is, why do these guys who clearly tried every possible way they could to NOT have to serve in Vietnam, now look back on that period and try to gain any personal benefit they can, by linking themselves positively to the war—whether through inference or by actual words. I have zero respect for this guy, and so should the voters in Connecticut.