Friday, January 01, 2010

Technology has us captured

I've heard it said by many that it was better in the 20th Century when we were not so dependent on technology as we are today. Some people's top priority in life is to assure they have a full-time high speed internet connection through which they can "remain connected" to whatever it is they want to be connected to. Online news, email, weather radar, GPS maps and directions—stuff like that. My youngest granddaughter is a good example. Let her experience an internet connection outage in her bedroom, and she's immediately on the phone with Comcast, demanding something be done NOW to fix it. I'm the same way, so I can't be overly critical of these sorts of actions. The reason why we all act this way, is because we've grown totally dependent on getting our "information" when we want it. Like this morning, for example.

I watched the Viginia Tech Hokies bowl win against Tennessee last night so I was well aware of what had taken place. But, as I was out on my AM walk, I wanted to learn what ESPN had to say about it. So, I pulled out my Verizon cellphone with it's excellent 3G reception, opened up its web browser application, and read a nice story about the Tech win, as I was walking my normal route (always being alert for traffic of course).

Now, I really could have waited until I finished my walk before gloating about the Tech win, because all the news about the game was in our local newspaper, which was in our mailbox for me to retrieve at the conclusion of my walk. But, NO. I wanted to read about it NOW, not later. And, my cellphone allowed me to do that.

This is what I'm talking about in relation to being totally captured by technology. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Let me Google that to get an answer. Back atcha later.