Thursday, January 07, 2010

Miscellaneous Thursday

I'm in the midst of wrapping up the next issue of Army Engineer magazine. I think you'll like it when you get it, assuming you are a subscriber. If not, why not? Go here to become one. Anyway, in the new issue I was fortunate to have three people send me materials that are about Army Engineer efforts in Afghanistan. Very timely, given the recent troop increase developments underway there. One of those articles is written by Colonel Tom O'Donovan who recently relinquished command of the Afghanistan Engineer District. He writes about a "turning point" over there from his perspective. The other two articles relate to troop engineers' role in counterinsurgency. They are each excellent in scope and the main points made (lessons learned). Anyway, it's a good issue of the magazine, with timely materials. Other neat stuff too.

Another thing I want to say this morning is "Roll Tide". I taught ROTC there (during the legendary Coach Bear Bryant era). He once wrapped his massive arm around my shoulder one day when I was in his office getting some papers signed. I was the head of the university's rifle team, and the athletic department provided funding. I'll never gorget that brief moment with Coach Bryant. He asked me, "Hows my rifle team going to do this year Captain Morgan?" That's all, one simple question. And all I could do was mumble some sort of dopey reply, given that I was totally awestruck simply by being in his presence. He WAS that impressive. So, I say again, ROLL TIDE tonight. The Bear will definitely be watching from above.