Sunday, January 03, 2010

Read the Instructions

This is a time of year when many people will first be using electronic, and other, type gifts received over the holiday season just passed. As I scan around many website forums, I see more and more questions posted such as, "I just got my new (insert device) and am looking for any tips on how to use it. Anyone help me?" When I read these questions I want to shout at the top of my lungs, "Read the instructions you idiot!"

Why are some people so lazy they can't take the time to simply read basic instructions such as I mention above? They just expect to be able to pick up their new device, turn it on, and then sit back and watch while it does its magic, expending as little brain cell energy as possible during the process. Then, when the device does not automatically do what they want it to do, they figure it's broken. Shortly thereafter, their wonderful new toy is either returned to its retail source for a refund, or else tossed into a drawer, never to see the light of day again. If only they had taken the time to read the instructions. Oh well.