Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Running Shoes

I wonder how many reading this recall those days in the Army when "boots" not running shoes were required during AM runs (better call them jogs because in formation that's what they were). "Shin splints" were like seasonal colds, everyone had them at some time. If you don't know what shin splints are, you obviously never ran a lot in Army boots.

Today, high tech running shoes rule during physical training. Nike, New Balance, Adidas, Saucony. I've owned them all from time to time. Toward the latter half of my Army career I started to run distances greater than four miles a day, with longer runs on weekends. As such I went through a new pair of shoes in short order, typically 3-4 months. At first my favorite shoe was the top of the line Nike. Later, I switched to Saucony which was extremely comfortable, albeit not as long lasting as the Nike shoes I had worn.

I continued to run for years after retirement, but eventually my knees telegraphed a desire for me to stop running, and to choose brisk walking instead. That's what I do now, almost every day, around two miles or so. My shoe of choice? New Balance. By far the best shoes I've owned. Not only do I wear them during my AM walks, I wear another pair during the day. I decided that the best way to buy New Balance shoes is to do so from one of their company owned stores, instead of getting a pair for less cost at retail shoe stores like Rack Room. My experience is that the Rack Room variety are not as well fitted, nor as comfortable. Perhaps they are "seconds", I don't know.

Anyway, as I sit here typing this post, I'm eating a bowl of cheerios with banana, wearing my New Balance shoes that just carried me along my AM walk. After my shower and shave, I'll switch to another pair of New Balance shoes for the rest of the day.

Thus endeth my running shoe commercial.