Thursday, August 13, 2009

Right Place at the Right Time

I'm working now on the September-October 2009 issue of Army Engineer magazine, and yesterday finished writing my editorial. In it, I mention there were many times in my life when I was fortunate to have been at the right place at the right time when something good eventually resulted, even though I did not understand its significance at the time it happened.

In my editorial I was referencing an assignment I had early in my military career that allowed me an opportunity to learn many things that have stayed with me to this day. It had to do with being assigned to an engineer battalion in Vietnam, just as the unit was about to begin one of the largest construction projects then underway. I suppose fate could have sent me to another battalion, but it did not. As a result, I was able to be a part of something big which ultimately gave me confidence that I could do more than what I'd earlier expected.

Later in my career I had similar experiences. Sometimes I rebelled at doing something which I initially believed to be outside my level of expertise. Examples included not wanting to be assigned to jobs I had no interest in performing, even though I was counseled by superiors that going to that job would help me professionally. Given that we're talking about the Army and you do what you're told, I (we) went, sometimes with my family "kicking and screaming" behind. Then, after we got to the new job, we all loved it and great things resulted.

I know I'm not alone in believing that being in the right place at the right time is a good thing. You just have to be smart enough to recognize what it is.