Thursday, June 11, 2009

Crimson Tide. Say it ain't so!

Read today on ESPN: "The NCAA will reveal later that the Alabama football program must vacate victories from 2005 through 2007 that included players who improperly got free textbooks for other students, the Birmingham News is reporting."

Way back in the day I was assigned as an ROTC instructor at the University of Alabama, when the football team was coached by the legendary Paul "Bear" Bryant. While I was there, the team recruited its first African American full-scholarship player, Wilber Jackson. Jackson enrolled in the basic ROTC program and he was in my class for a year. He never entered the advanced ROTC program but graduated and was drafted in the first round by the NFL's San Francisco 49ers. He played five seasons with the team.

Having Jackson in my ROTC class meant that I was one of several other instructors in the university who were given close attention by Coach Bryant, in relation to "grades". If Jackson had any trouble, the Coach was right on top of it to find out why, and what could be done about it. He was fair in his approach with me, but him being who he was I was often very nervous when he wrapped his big arm around my shoulder and asked, "So Captain Morgan, how's Wilbur doing in ROTC?"

One of my extra duties in the ROTC program was to serve as the officer in charge of the school's Rifle Team. As it was a part of the sports program, it was partially funded by the Athletic Department. I remember a time when I had to go to the main offices of the Athletic Department to obtain approval on some budget items, and Coach Bryant spotted me in uniform outside his massive and wonderfully decorated office. His lanky, tall, large frame body got up from his desk and he came out to greet me with the same old question, "How's Wilbur doing?"

I was, of course, a very loyal football fan while I was at Alabama, and remained so afterwards. But, as coaches and players changed over the years, so did the quality of the team. I don't know if Coach Bryant would have tolerated such things that have now gotten the football program in trouble, but I like to think he would not. The media and NCAA back then were not as persistent in patrolling and controlling improper actions as they are today.

More importantly, in my mind the Alabama football program will never be the same as it was when Coach Bryant ran it. He was truly one of a kind.