Monday, June 15, 2009

Army Uniforms

Soldiers like to give their opinions on just about anything. One topic receiving quite a lot of discussion lately is the uniforms which the Army leadership has decided are "best" for Soldiers. Many don't like the ACU uniform for various reasons, and when the topic of the new "blue" uniform comes up, the topic gets much more heated.

I have never worn the ACU, but did wear the older woodland camo uniform for years and grew to like it not so much for its camo pattern but its durability and comfort. Plus, I did not have to attach badges, patches and name tags with velcro, which must be done on the current ACU (a prime complaint by many now serving).

I did wear the blue (dress) uniform for 30 years and it looked fine...during formal occasions. I would not want to the blue as my standard uniform as is now planned. The Army has always been either green, brown or tan. I remember when the Air Force went to a new lighter blue officer's uniform years ago and some of us in the Army felt they looked like bus drivers instead of fighter pilots. From what I read today's Soldiers saying, we may be headed in a similar direction with the new standard Army "blue" uniform.