Monday, August 29, 2011

Prescribed footware policy not sitting well

I read today this article about the Army not allowing (service-wide) the wear of running footware know as "toe shoes." OK, I get it...they look different, but according to serious runners, they are far better on the body than are more traditional running shoes.

The article states that none of the other services have taken this stance. In fact, the top enlisted sailor in the Navy wears them to PT, as do many in the Marine Corp's Headquarters Battalion.

Personally I see nothing wrong with allowing them to be worn...at the minimum allow local commanders to make the call as the Marines and Air Force do. Perhaps they might be prohibited during basic training, but afterwards, why not. Sometimes I have a hard time following the logic of those in the Army who sit in high places. Certinaly I am not alone if one looks at the backlash of negative comments from those now serving.