Saturday, August 06, 2011

Keeping the Faith

It's no fun watching the evening news on TV anymore…but I do it anyway. Last week the most depressing news I listened to involved the number of military veterans recently released from active duty, who are having an exceptionally hard time finding full time employment. And that news was on top of equally distressing information about the nation's economic situation, and how ineffective our government is dealing with it all. Sort of makes me want to move to a mountain cabin, in some backwoods hollow with no electricity. But…that's not going to happen.

Anyway, it bothers me greatly that so many of our veterans can't find work…after all they have sacrificed. Politicians just talk about "jobs-jobs-jobs", saying things oriented on their re-election, and meanwhile nothing seems to get done. Historically speaking, our country has been through this sort of stuff before, but it all seems so much worse today…but then what do I know…I was not around the last time it was this bad.

Keeping the faith is good advice. And being thankful for what we do have, and less worried about what we don't.