Thursday, August 11, 2011

Older Legs

I may not be able to run/jog four miles a day like I once did...in fact "four" as in miles isn't in my brain's vocabulary anymore. But...daily walking at a relative brisk pace is...even though it's of the "two" mile variety.

My New Balance 993 shoes do their job of keeping my feet, knees and legs in good shape, and I replace them every six months or so, even though they are not cheap. I got that advice long ago from a famous sports medicine guy...he said "never run in cheap shoes and replace them often."

What I miss during my morning exercise routine is doing it alone...even though listening to music on my iPod or iPhone is rather peaceful. I remember, for example, when my 0530 running group of three would stand outside my quarters at Fort Leonard Wood,  Missouri patiently waiting for me to come outside to stretch and do a few sit-ups and pushups, before heading off on a 4-5 mile route. Two were battalion commanders and the other was the post Staff Judge Advocate. I was the "senior" guy, so I had the privilege of being late from time to time. When I retired, the group gave me a photo of us four, each attired in various running gear...with bright colors...definitely NOT Army issue. That photo hangs near my work desk today and it brings back great memories.

I'm very grateful that my feet and legs, much less my entire body, is still capable of engaging in some form of daily exercise, and I thank God for that each morning as I start my walk. As we get "older legs" we need all the help we can get.