Thursday, March 17, 2011

Reality looms

When I was in the Army, I never really worried about much of anything that was going on outside my "zone"...meaning anything civilian in nature. But when I retired after almost 30 years of service, the picture changed. In sum, reality loomed on the horizon while I neared the end of my service period, but I paid little attention. After getting out, reality dumped on me big time. My "security blanket" was gone.

Army service was not easy, we moved usually every two years, there were two combat tours in Vietnam, our kids hated it by never having any permanent friends; and my wife tolerated it all, while basically running the entire home front by herself while I did my thing being a soldier. Our experience was no different from most others in the military. One thing was certain, however, so long as you did your job, improved with experience and maximized your strengths and minimized your weaknesses, you could have a very successful career. The "job" was always there, and we knew what to expect. We had a great security blanket all around us and it felt good.

Many now in uniform are preparing to get out themselves. Some after retirement, others after a service tour.  To them I advise...be ready to deal with the possibility of new challenges you have no experience dealing with, and be prepared for the stresses of a civilian job market which is pretty dismal at present. You may not get what you want, and in some cases you may have to take a step down from the level of responsibility you've had in the military. On the upside of that, your experience (leadership for example) is much sought after by many employers, you just have to "sell yourself" in an effective way. Keep in mind however...reality looms for you on the horizon, just as it has for many others who went through this same gate before.