Sunday, March 27, 2011

I'm a cat-influenced typist



Anyone who has a dog or a cat as a pet will understand it when I say that not only do they have human-like qualities and personalities, but they also quickly learn how to interact with you, as if they know they are a beloved part of your family.

We've had both dogs and cats as pets over the years, taken care of them when they are sick, played with them when they want to, responded to their demands such as "feed me" or "leave me alone" and always treated them as an integral part of our family in many ways. Sometimes they pester you so much for attention and you have to brush them away, but whenever I do that they give me this sad look that makes me give in and offer them the attention they seek. Take my calico cat Boots, who is sitting here next to my laptop while I'm typing this, staring at me from about six inches away, with her head next to mine, silently telling me she wants love of some sort.

I brush her away telling her, "Not now Boots" and she slides back a bit and starts grooming herself, but still looking up at me every few minutes to see if it's now OK for her to resume the position from which I'd brushed her away. But, it's a bit different the second time, because when she comes back, rather than sitting close to me, she rests her head on my arm and so long as I don't disturb her, she quickly falls asleep. I've thus learned how to type mainly with my right hand, with the left sort of encumbered by Boots laying on my wrist and arm.

I am indeed a cat-influenced typist.