Wednesday, July 28, 2010

First Class Retirement Speech

I was sent a text copy of the full retirement speech given recently by General Stan McChrystal. I'm fully aware of the controversy generated by the Rolling Stone interview, which led to his retirement, but from what he said at his retirement ceremony, the way he said it, and his overall service as a warrior in defense of our country, I wished I would have been able to serve with him in some capacity. Here's a portion of what he said—the part I liked the best. His sense of humor is great.


"Let me thank everyone for being here. This turnout is truly humbling. Here tonight are my wife and son, my four brothers, two nephews, mentors, comrades from countless phases of my career, and some special guests whose service and sacrifice are impossible to describe with words. But because this crowd is pretty big, for good order and discipline, I've divided you all into four groups. Please remember your group number. Group 1 are all the people who accepted responsibility for making this ceremony work from the planners to the soldiers on the field. My apologies for all the time you spend in the heat. You're special people. And in my mind, you also represent soldiers all over the world. You have my sincere appreciation. The second group is distinguished servants of all nations who have taken time from your often-crushing schedules to be here. And thanks for your years of support and friendship. I got you out of the office early on Friday. Group 3 are warriors of all ranks, and that includes many who don't wear a uniform but defend our nation with whom I have shared aircraft, VTCs, remote outposts, frustrations, triumphs, laughs and a common cause for many years. You are not all here. Some of you are deployed and in the fight. Others rest across river in Arlington. Most of the credit I've received actually belongs to you. It has been your comradeship that I have considered the greatest honor of my career. Finally, Group 4 is all those who've heard we're having two kegs of beer in the backyard after my ceremony. This group includes a number of my classmates from West Point, old friends, most of the warriors from Group 3, and some others who defy accurate description. Anyone already carrying a plastic cup might be considered the vanguard of Group 4. Everyone here today is invited to join."