Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Wet weather, etc

We've received between 1-2 inches of good, soaking rain over the past 24 hours here in SW Virginia. Nice to see the local lakes fill up some more from last year's semi-drought in this area. What this means for me today is that I am holed up in the house, looking at a new external hard drive for my main computer back up all my files, instead of being outside with my camera. The January-February issue of Army Engineer magazine is at the printers, so that means that I have a couple of weeks to mess around with some other fun stuff. Speaking of backing up computer files, I hope everyone reading this has a back-up plan. If not, beware. The new external hard drive I got is 1 terabyte in size…that's 1000 gigabytes. The external drive I've been using is 300 GB, and when I bought it I figured it would be large enough to back up my computer's internal 250 GB drive. But, given all the photos I have, plus music, plus large files associated with all the graphics work I do, it started filing up faster than I expected. So, given that external drives are pretty inexpensive these days ($200 for the 1 TB I just got from Other World Computing) I figured why not just get one large enough to last me for a long time, assuming the drive itself does not fail. So, that's my story for today. When the sun pops out, so will I from my hunkered down position.